Monday, May 01, 2006

macba


he photographs I posted recently without comment (This Way, Green Man, The Opposite of a Dark Corner, Narrow, Living on the Ceiling) were all taken in the Museum of Contemporary Barcelona Art (English translation available) located, not surprisingly, in Barcelona. At first I found it hard to believe that photography wasn't forbidden as it is in most if not all galleries and museums in the UK, but once I overcame my trepidation, I took a huge number of shots.

The building has a large glass wall at the front, apparently to encourage a 'dialogue' with the residents of the nearby area. This was a controversial approach, because it is located in a run-down part of the inner city, and there was considerable resentment at what some saw as arrogance.

On arrival, I thought the outside of the building - largely consisting of chunks of concrete shapes - ugly, and I wasn't looking forward to going inside. Once past the front door, however, I was stunned by the light coming through that glass wall. A series of ramps take you up three floors, allowing views into the atrium. Not only that, but there are so many intruiging shapes, and light plays an important part in helping to create those patterns.

I didn't care much about the exhibits, but the building certainly grabbed me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home