Friday, November 11, 2005

More on RSS

I wrote a few days ago about starting to use an RSS aggregator. I've been adding lots of sites to my list of favourites, and I'm already finding that if a site doesn't provide an RSS feed then I'm much less likely to go back to see if there's anything new. It's only taken a few days for this change in my attitude to occur.

I may or may not be a typical web user, but if I am, then sites which don't annouce updates will be left behind, and possibly those that don't update regularly will also lose out.

That should not be seen as a reason for sites to add updates just for the sake of it, since that would devalue the whole process. Rather, it suggests that there will be a responsibility for content managers to concentrate on up-to-date, meaningful content. This may have to be at the expense of unusual or complex design.

There is a long way to go, however, before the process of RSS feeds is widely understood and incorporated into browsers. One way might be for the browser to ask the user, when a site is added to a favourites list, whether he/she wishes to add it to an inbuilt RSS aggregator. Google (surprise, surprise) is working on just such a reader. I've not tried Google's offering, but I've read some disgruntled comments from people who have.

2 Comments:

At 12:27 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi - I can see I'm going to have to be more assiduious in keeping my RSS feeds up to date. your blog is brilliant place to keep upp with what is happening on the Web 2.0 front.
BTW I am browsing on my new handheld pc - you might be able to tell because my typing is so slow....
see you soon - tone

 
At 12:56 pm, Blogger Alec said...

Hi Tony. All these changes are fascinating, especially since opinion seems to be divided on what they mean, if anything. I'll be following this up in future posts.

I'm only part way towards understanding it all. For example, I rely on Blogger to provide my RSS feed for this blog (I've added a site feed link at the foot of the right hand column.) I don't know how to provide one for my own websites, however. How do you do it for atypical? What do you have to do to keep it up to date?

BTW, my reason for typing slowly today is that I'm using one hand to stop a cat sliding off my lap. As low-tech as you can get, compared to your new gadget!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home