Monday, October 17, 2005

And all because the lady loves Milk Tray

I said recently that I might tell you what happened at Manchester airport the other day. Despite your pretence otherwise, I can tell you are all agog, so make sure you're sitting comfortably and then I'll begin.

I wanted to take some photographs for the Koshino website project, so I went to Terminals 2 and 3 at the said airport. All too aware of recent events there, I carefully checked with security staff at baggage handling points in both terminals whether it was OK to take photographs. They all said it was fine as long as I didn't photograph them or the area beyond the barriers.

A few snaps later, most definitely pointed away from the designated areas, there was a metaphorical tap on my shoulder. "Excuse me, sir. Did you know that it's illegal to take photographs in here?" At this point, I tried hard not to think of the plane-spotters in Greece, but definitely failed.

Proudly explaining the care I had taken to ascertain acceptability, I was politely but firmly taken to one side, where I was told at first I would need to talk with the terminal manager (is that what's meant by a dead-end job?) but was later informed that I would need to seek permission, in writing, in advance from him. The address I was given was actually for the Public Relations section, but let's not quibble. Let's not quibble either about the many tourists still happily snapping away nearby on their mobile phones. Is this a lesson for potential wrong-doers? Take photos of interesting security areas by getting your mate to stand in front of them and smile stupidly.

Apparently taking photographs of people checking in is not a good idea, though whether this is a security risk or just contrary to Human Rights legislation wasn't explained. Anxious not to cause trouble, I said I understood perfectly, and walked smartly back to my car without dawdling, trying (without being too obvious about it) to detect the swivel of any cameras as I passed, but they were too well hidden if they did.

Memory card intact and still in my possession, the website was complete a few days later. Now you can visit the site again, and marvel at the dangers I braved in the name of art. Not all of the background images are mine, but you can have fun trying to guess which constitute a breach of security.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home