Tuesday, March 07, 2006

More Shakespeare


ontinuing yesterday's theme of Shakespearean plays, I also walked out of a performance in Stoke of Romeo and Juliet. It was an English Shakespeare Company production, where Romeo was an alien, and he arrived at Juliet's balcony by dangling upside down from his spacecraft.

In contrast, I've seen some wonderful productions. Illyria's outdoor production of The Comedy of Errors was excellent. Minor costume changes at each side of the performance area weren't really needed because the actors were so good at differentiating between the various sets of twins.

By coincidence, I came across this list of "Things I Will Not Do When I Direct a Shakespearean Production", which is quite amusing. There must be a lot of bad productions out there. The list continues on another page, but it's becoming quite tired by this point.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home