Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Hugo Williams


isa and I went to hear Hugo Williams read some of his poetry last night. It was part of the season at Keele University where we heard Fleur Adcock last month.

I was a bit worried for a while, as I was sure I was missing something. His poems are undramatic, uneventful even, with little overt emotion. Beforehand, I'd read about all of the awards he's been given, including the Queen's poetry award, so I was surprised at how straightforward and enjoyable it all was.

During the questions at the end, however, Williams accepted the description of his poems as entertainments, the way Graham Greene described his lighter novels. That was quite a relief, and I felt free to enjoy the poems without searching hard for deeper meanings.

Williams writes about his past in an open and engaging way, at times surprisingly frankly. It must be odd standing in front of an audience and revealing so much of yourself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home