Friday, September 16, 2005

Leaping horses

As part of my drive to find insipration from a variety of sources, I visited the exhibition in the Sutherland Institute this morning. It's part of the ceramics festival in Stoke-on-Trent this weekend. After some initial difficulties in finding and reaching the exhibition, I discovered this small but wonderful collection of leaping horses by April Young, reminiscent of the cave paintings at Lascaux. You can see more of April's horses at Scotland Art.

April was there, finalising the display, and she told me about the process of making and then firing the models in smoke. She also makes human-like figures, though these weren't on display, and we talked about the rich source of stories, from Scottish legends to Shakespearean drama, that we all draw on as part of our western culture.

A highly interesting and enjoyable conversation, making me glad I'd persevered past the initial problems. The exhibition is free, and continues until tomorrow. I strongly encourage you to see April's work. (In comparison, the crockery in the other room is just dull.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home